To lighten the mood after being on the warship, we headed over to the Cartoon Museum. Here are a few of our favorite pieces.
We had lunch at The Melt in downtown San Francisco near the museum. Ironically, we had repeatedly seen another location in Burbank but hadn't gotten around to trying it. In retrospect, that was unfortunate because it was yummy and affordable. They offered several types of grilled cheese sandwiches, soups, salads, and a few other alternatives. I still really want to try the s'mores sandwich!!
After lunch, we drove past Haight and Ashbury, then took a joyride down Lombard Street, the most crooked street in the world. The speed limit is only 5 miles an hour. I took a video but it was difficult capture in a way that wouldn't make you nauseous, so here is a picture we quickly snapped from the car window.
Next, we spent some time wandering Pier 39 until it was time for our cruise around Alcatraz. They have lots of cute little stores and we wound up doing a little early Christmas shopping (ooops!). We weren't quite ready to leave, but it was time for our cruise. It was a little overcast and windy which made for very choppy water. We stayed inside most of the time and listened to the stories about the criminals who tried to escape from the rock. Rumor has it that each year a reunion is held at the rock for all the guards and inmates who spent so many years together. We'll have to Google that one. Of course, we couldn't resist taking another picture of the Golden Gate Bridge.
After the cruise, we wandered the pier a bit more and found these cuties hanging around the docks just next to the pier.
Our appetites finally got us to leave and head back to Chinatown. We were deprived of good Chinese food for the entire time we were in LA and we had to get our fill. We researched what is considered the best restaurant in Chinatown and we were led to The House of Nanking. Those of you who know me from my picky eater days will appreciate this story. We find the restaurant more than a bit off the main strip and see a line out the door and down the street. Must be good. We get in line. An older gentleman who works in the restaurant comes outside and tells us the line will take a very long time, probably an hour. I immediately want to leave and ask if he has a recommendation for an alternative. "You turn corner and go Chinatown. Many options." The reviews already warned us of poor customer service, but sheeeesh. It was more than an hour before they were supposed to close. We actually got a table after about 15 minutes in line. My mouth has been watering thinking of chicken with broccoli, sweet and sour chicken, mongolian beef, and I can't figure out which one of my Chinese favorites I want to order. The one thing I knew for sure is that I wanted Wonton soup. We sat down and got the menus. NOOOOOOOOOO! I don't see any of the main dishes I want. Actually, I panic at the choices and tell Daniel I just want wonton soup fried rice. He convinced me to share sesame chicken and fried calamari with him. The soup comes out....white. Huh??? It wasn't bad but it isn't what I had in mind AND it wasn't that good. The fried calamari comes out and I learn an important lesson. This is completely different from the fried calamari you would order in an Italian restaurant. It was slimy and rubbery and felt waaaaay too much like it was recently swimming around with Nemo. Once I got over the texture, it was actually pretty good. The Sesame Chicken saved the day. It was sweet and crunchy and not at all like the sesame chicken I normally do not enjoy. It was certainly an experience but I can't say I left hungry! We went back and spent some quality time with the pups before drifting into a deep sleep.











No comments:
Post a Comment